Wednesday, February 13, 2008


I marked this section of Blue Like Jazz.

"The thing I have to work on in myself is this issue of belief. Gandhi believed Jesus when He said to turn the other check. Gandhi brought down the British Empire, deeply injured the caste system, and changed the world, Mother Teresa believed Jesus when He said everybody was priceless, even the ugly ones, the smelly ones, and Mother Teresa changed the world by showing them that a human being can be selfless. Peter finally believed the gospel after he got yelled at by Paul. Peter and Paul changed the world by starting small churches in godless towns.
Eminem believes he is a better rapper than other rappers. Profound. Let's all follow Eminem. .......... But the trouble with deep belief is that it costs something. And there is something inside me, some selfish beast of a subtle thing that doesn't like the truth at all because it carries responsibility, and if I actually believe these things I have to do something about them."

I'm not sure why I choose this selection of all the passages in the book. It surely isn't the funniest or the most thought provoking or even the most theologically questionable but it just seemed very..... very human. Something I am learning quite a lot about. I liked this book a lot more than I thought I would. Read it, and let's have coffee.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have that exact section underlined in my copy.