Thursday, February 21, 2008

Misfortunes masked in hope

How do I begin this post? That's a great question. Yesterday was a roller coaster of everything human. I feel like I just got off the high school maturity wagon as if I had gone through every learning experience induced by four year periods. I left for London in the morning to meet Meg Kimsey and her boyfriend Andy. It was good to finally see her. We walked around tourist London, which is honestly getting more boring every time I do it. Big Ben and I are growing kind of tired of each others faces. ....punny. We did go to the Tower of London and to Tower Bridge which is not London Bridge because it is still standing. Later that day this dialogue would happen.

Steff: Why didn't you go into the Tower of London.
Mitch: Because it was ugly and depressing.
Steff: Yeah,? because it was a prison and a torture chamber.
Mitch: Oh....
England: What, like you didn't torture people for hundreds of years?

Our plane to Doublin was leaving at 8:45 so we got on the Gatwick Express. *Note to future London travelers. Gatwick is way better than both Stansted and Heathrow as it has a Krispy Cream. We got up to our check in line when this dialogue happened.

Steff: Oh hold on, I gotta get my passport out.
Mitch's guts: whooosh. *hit floor
Steff's passport: I'm present.
Mitch's passport: The heck I am.

That's right, I totally forgot my passport for my trip to Ireland. I hadn't thought about my passport in over a week. Honestly, Ireland has been its own republic since I've been born so why I never thought to bring my passport is a complete wonder. So long story long I took the train back to London and the bus pack to Canterbury and my feet back to my flat.


As I wrote this I was listening to a CD that Lauren Sampsell gave maybe four years ago. It had a hidden song on it. You know the ones that are like six minutes into the track after four minutes of silence and no joke the lyrics were as follows, "You and I don't have long, so make the most before its gone." I think I will. Thank you sad southern songwriter.

6 comments:

Clint said...

London Bridge is still standing... it's the most boring bridge in the world though. it's been tested.

Bo Cox said...

Mich! I think the Irish might have let you in even without your passport. Greenbrier apts. That might be the new home.

_bo

ps - #2UT vs. #1Memphis bball tonight! ahh!

pssss - the sound you make after drinking water.

Anonymous said...

should have tried the "Pass Back" with Andy at customs, it works at college bars.

Andrew Duffell said...

You don't need a passport to go to Ireland. It's part of the Common Travel Area.

Mitch said...

If you have a European driver's license then there is plenty of common travel but I'm a foreigner.

Meg said...

oh mitch it was so good seeing you that day!