Thursday, January 24, 2008

"I'm still learning which one's which, ya know?"


Something I have discovered and really have enjoyed since I have been in England is flirting with girls at cash registers. It's really easy here. These are three simple steps.

1. Play up your American accent.
2. Act confused about the coins in your hand.
3. Smile and laugh when they think it's funny.

Today, I went into town to meet Martha for sushi. It was an actual bar with a real moving conveyor belt which is always fun. After we watched our etomami travel around the bar we shopped for things we couldn't afford. I have renamed England jacket capital of the world because they have the best selection of jackets this side of the Mississippi. Unfortunately they are overpriced times two since the pound is currently two dollars.
I sat in Cafe Nero and drank a delicious cafe mocha while reading some D. Miller. More on that later. I had to put in my headphones though because there were two guys outside playing guitar and singing "I'm a believer" in the street. It was really funny because when I initially heard guitar in the street I thought, "Nashville?" but then I realized, "Canterbury." The best part of the day perhaps was tonight at Ichthus. (college lifegroup thing) They threw me a tea party! No joke. They wanted to do something really English for the new American student. I loved it. Not to worry though, I refused milk in my tea. But wait for it, wait for it. The best part is, we had crumpets and tarts. If you have been wondering what a crumpet really is stop wondering because I am about to tell you. They are kind of like pancakes, only crisper. They were pretty good. They talked about all sorts of English things. I learned a ton about English history and politics and why I probably won't get that meeting with the Queen. I'm still thinkin' I can.

(Harry Potter dork note) There really was a Philosopher's stone and it was in Canterbury. Eat it, Hogwarts.

I also got my first package today which is a terrific feeling.

And.... I went to the post office today and they made me lick a stamp. It felt very 1992.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay! a real TEA PARTY!
I want to come visit. If you know of any free flights or just a rich person with alot of frequent flyer miles, let me know. I'm so there.
love!

Bo Cox said...

HAHAHA! Oh Mitch...flirting with the ladies.

kristen s. said...

ICHTHUS?!?!

I'm so excited you finally found it. I hope you had fun @ your first ever tea party. I know it was a blast. Tell everyone I say hello!