Tuesday, January 15, 2008

We never change do we?


Yesterday I went into town via the buss. This time I sat on the top deck because it is touristy. I went to the really awesome Starbucks to write. I knew I was at a crossroads of centuries because the Starbucks is directly adjacent to the cathedral gate. We don't see this kind of thing at home. The cathedral is hundreds and hundreds of years old and now a visitor can have his or her coffee before they tour.

This week it rained. again. So I decided to really enjoy the weather for what it was instead of being offended by it. I turned on my ipod, put on my rain coat, and walked to class. I listened to Coldplay because there is no better time or place to enjoy the meloncholy tones but in England in the rain. I could not help but smile becuase it was utterly fantastic. I noticed however that people were staring at me as if I had the plague and might vomit it on them at any moment. It was then that I realized that the students here do not smile. In fact they find it an odd thing to do while walking to class. Nevertheless I kept smiling because it was raining, I was in England, and Coldplay was humming in my ear.

My classes thus far have been few. Well, because I missed one of them because I couldn't find it. The internet died on campus so I had no idea where my class was. If I was in Knoxville and that happened, I would have freaked out missing a class but because I am in England I remind myself. "pass/fail"

British joke:
Who is the patron Saint of coffee?

St. Arbucks

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man that sounds awesome about walking in the rain. It's good to hear that coldplay has found it's way back into the cycle.
A speaker at conference told us a story about his experiences in Russia. One in particular was how at first he smiled all the time and was very friendly towards people that he didn't know that were from the area. He later found out that in Russia, if you walk around smiling at people and making eye contact (completely normal in the south) then you are considered A: A psychopath, or B: someone who is planning something very bad.
Hope to skype you soon! (it's cold here....especially without heat...)